Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Earthquake - we're fine

Patricia and I were sleeping this morning when we felt a noise and vibration that might be caused by someone walking heavily across the wooden floor on the 3rd story of the house where we're staying. But it didn't make sense that the other student in the house would be walking and making that noise. I heard Patricia mumble something about an earthquake then the house shook back and forth. I realized Patricia in her early morning slumber had figured it out.

Turns out the epicenter of the 6.9 quake was about 170 miles northeast of Cuenca. It was about 115 miles underground and occured in the amazon jungle region of the country - are area that is not heavily populated.

We're fine.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Patricia and Andy,
    So happy you both are okay. How scary is that. I bet you're a little shaken up? I just figured all of this blog out so I will be tracking you closer and writing. Be safe and missing you. I am sending you hugs, Love, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys,
    Glad you are safe. It's one adventure after another! We loved the pictures/video of the zipline and butterflies. Ben really enjoyed them, too. He wants to know if you have seen any snakes or big fish. Thinking of you! And miss you, too!
    Love, Brandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Just checking out your blog...I want to come visit you! Patricia--hope you're healing up and hope you're both having fun with the Spanish.

    cynthia

    ReplyDelete