Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Galapagos - Floreana Island

The visit to Floreana Island was short but the Sally Lightfoot crabs stole the show because of their color and sideways movement across the rocks. In one spot we saw dozens resting on a rock. A big wave crashed into it and over the crabs. We thought they'd be gone and were amazed to see them still there. How do they grip the rocks to keep from washing away?

When I read there is a “greenish” beach on Floreana I was skeptical and thought the guide book was exaggerating the real appearance. But when we landed on the island that morning I could clearly see large sections of green sand. Patricia sifted through the grains and found crystals of the mineral olivine that give it a green hue. (She has a few in her hand in the last picture (link below)).
 (Copy and paste the link.)

http://picasaweb.google.com/fourney/4FloreanaAlbum?feat=directlink

3 comments:

  1. The pictures are so colorful and beautiful. I'm so glad you guys are sharing!
    Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy - I got a voice message from you today. It was 50 seconds long. But I could only hear static. Were you returning my call? I wish I knew what you said!!!! Anyway- keep the photos coming, they're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love seeing the photos. I will show, Ben, he will love them, too. Sounds like an amazing time. Love reading your blog! Happy Travels! Brandi & the Boys

    ReplyDelete